Your support is critical to our success.
Origin and Habitat: Bahia San Quintín, Baja California Norte (Mexico, Northern America)
- Ferocactus fordii subs. borealis N.P.Taylor
Ferocactus fordii subs. borealis N.P.Taylor
Cactaceae Syst. Init. 14: 16. 2002 [Oct 2002]
Accepted name in llifle Database:
Ferocactus fordii (Orcutt) Britton & Rose
Cactaceae (Britton & Rose) 3: 126, fig. 132. 1922 [12 Oct 1922]
- Ferocactus fordii (Orcutt) Britton & Rose
- Echinocactus fordii Orcutt
- Ferocactus fordii var. brevispinus n.n., catalog name
Subspecies, varieties, forms and cultivars of plants belonging to the Ferocactus fordii group
- Ferocactus fordii (Orcutt) Britton & Rose: The plants in circulation and labelled F. fordii are now named var. borealis, which means northerly. The proper F. Fordii is quite a sight since it has much longer spines.
- Ferocactus fordii subs. borealis N.P.Taylor: It occurs one third of the way down the Baja peninsula, near the coast and near the road. It is fully grown at 20 cm in diameter.
- Ferocactus fordii var. brevispinus n.n., catalog name: is a cultivated form with comparatively shorter spines.
Notes: Ferguson collected seed, which was intitially cultivated by S. Brack (Mesa Garden Nursery, USA), then cult. (ex seed from controlled pollination of above) by D. Bowdery
|Back to Ferocactus index|
|Back to Cactaceae index|
|Back to Cacti Encyclopedia index|