Your support is critical to our success.
Origin and Habitat: Northern Cape, Western Cape (Nieuwoudtville to Caledon) South Africa.
Habitat: It grows scattered on rocky mountain slopes in montane areas and in sandy places on the Cape Flats where it is not threatened.
Othonna perfoliata (L.f.) Jacq.
Pl. Rar. Hort. Schoenbr. 2: 61, t. 240 1797
- Othonna perfoliata (L.f.) Jacq.
- Othonna amplexifolia DC.
- Othonna filicaulis Jacq.
ENGLISH: Climbing Babooncabbage
AFRIKAANS (Afrikaans): Bobbejaankoolklimop
Description: Othonna perfoliata is a remarkable straggling, tuberous succulent with thin stems up to 70 cm long, stems from a woolly crown. It is very variable.
Habit: Perennial herb with an underground tuber.
Stems: Elongate, branched, often climbing, herbaceous, glabrous, up to 70(-100) cm long, becoming somewhat messy.
Leaves: Dimorphic. Radical leaves petioled, cordate or ovate; cauline leaves lanceolate to rotund, clasping and cordate at the base, or taperpointed, acute or acuminated, entire, connate at base glaucous.
Flower heads (Capitula): Discoid, solitary and terminal or axillary, white or yellow.
Fruits: It makes large brown fluffy seedpuffs later on in the season, achenes closely silky, pappus of marginal florets much elongated in fruit.
Bibliography: Major references and further lectures
1) AFPD. “African Flowering Plants Database - Base de Donnees des Plantes a Fleurs D'Afrique” 2008
2) Gibbs Russell, G. E., W. G. M. Welman, E. Retief, K. L. Immelman, G. Germishuizen, B. J. Pienaar, M. Van Wyk & A. Nicholas. “List of species of southern African plants.” in: Mem. Bot. Surv. S. Africa 2(1–2): 1–152(pt. 1), 1–270(pt. 2). 1987
3) Manning, J.C. and Goldblatt, P. “New synonyms and a new name in Asteraceae: Senecioneae from the southern African winter rainfall region.” Bothalia 40(1):37-46. 2010.
4) Raimondo, D., von Staden, L., Foden, W., Victor, J.E., Helme, N.A., Turner, R.C., Kamundi, D.A. and Manyama, P.A. “Red List of South African Plants.” Strelitzia 25. South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria.2009
5) Raimondo, D., von Staden, L. 2011. Othonna perfoliata (L.f.) Jacq. National Assessment: “Red List of South African Plants” version 2013.1. Accessed on 2013/12/28
|Back to Othonna index|
|Back to Asteraceae index|
|Back to Succulents Encyclopedia index|